On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 04:55:35PM -0600, Robert Thurlow wrote:
> Albert Chin wrote:
>
> >I think the bigger problem is the NFS performance penalty so we'll go
> >lurk somewhere else to find out what the problem is.
>
> Is this with Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris on the client as well?

Client is RHEL 4/x86_64.

But, we just ran a concurrent tar/SSH across Solaris 10, HP-UX
11.23/PA, 11.23/IA, AIX 5.2, 5.3, RHEL 4/x86, 4/x86_64 and the average
was ~4562187 bytes/sec. But, the gcc343 copy on each of these machines
isn't the same size. It's certainly less than 400MBx7 though.

While performance on one system is fine, things degrade when you add
clients.

> I guess this goes back to some of the "why is tar slow over NFS"
> discussions we've had, some here and some on nfs-discuss.  A more
> multi-threaded workload would help; so will planned work to focus
> on performance of NFS and ZFS together, which can sometimes be
> slower than expected.

But still, how is tar/SSH any more multi-threaded than tar/NFS?

I've posted to nfs-discuss so maybe someone knows something.

--
albert chin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])