What if your HW-RAID-controller dies? in say 2 years or more..
What will read your disks as a configured RAID? Do you know how to
(re)configure the controller or restore the config without destroying your
data? Do you know for sure that a spare-part and firmware will be identical, or
at least compatible? How good is your service subscription? Maybe only
scrapyards and museums will have what you had. =o
With ZFS/JBOD you will be safe; just get a new controller (or server) -- any
kind that is protocol-compatible (and OS-complatible) you may have floating
around (SATA2 | SCSI | FC..) -- and zpool import :) And you can safely buy the
latest&gratest and come out with something better than you had.

With ZFS I prefer JBOD. For performance you may want external HW-RAIDs (>=2)
and let ZFS mirror them as virtual JBOD. -- depends where the bottleneck is;
I/O or spindle.
I disable any RAID-features on internal RAID-chipsets (nForce etc.).