> Intending to experiment with ZFS, I have been
> struggling with what
> should be a simple download routine.
>
> Sun Download Manager leaves a great deal to be
> desired.
>
> In the Online Help for Sun Download Manager there's a
> section on
> troubleshooting, but if it causes *anyone* this much
> trouble
> <http://fuzzy.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/sundownloadmana
> gercrap/> then
> it should, surely, be fixed.
>
> Sun Download Manager -- a FORCED step in an
> introduction to
> downloadable software from Sun -- should be PROBLEM
> FREE in all
> circumstances. It gives an extraordinarily poor first
> impression.
>
> If it can't assuredly be fixed, then we should not be
> forced to use it.
>
> (True, I might have ordered rather than downloaded a
> DVD, but Sun
> Download Manager has given such a poor impression
> that right now I'm
> disinclined to pay.)

For trying out zfs, you could always request the free "Starter Kit" DVD
at http://www.opensolaris.org/kits/ which  contains the
SXCE, Nexenta, Belenix and Schillix distros (all newer than Solaris 10).

Beyond that, while I'm sure you're right about that providing a poor
first impression, I guess I'm too old to have much sympathy for something
taking minutes rather than seconds of attention being a barrier to entry.
Yes, the download experience should be vastly improved, but if you let
that stop you, I wonder if you're all that interested in the first place.