Rick Mann wrote:
> Richard Elling wrote:
>

>> For the time being, these SATA disks will operate in IDE compatibility mode,
>> so
>> don't worry about the write cache.  There is some debate about whether the
>> write
>> cache is a win at all, but that is another rat hole.  Go ahead and split off
>> some
>> space for boot and swap.  Put the rest in ZFS.  Mirror for best all-around
>> performance.
>>

> I assume you mean to dedicate one drive to boot/swap/upgrade, and the other
> three drives to ZFS. But I can't mirror with only 3 drives, so I think RAIDZ
> is best, wouldn't you agree?

Try some tests on you box:

slice one drive for root, swap and the rest ZFS.

Install on that drive and create a raidz pool with the other drives,
benchmark.

Slice the other drives in the same way as the first and build either a
raidz pool or a stripe of two of mirrors from the four ZFS slices,
benchmark.

The time will be well spent.

Ian