> > The configuration of any vdev that you create does not constrain you
> > with any vdevs you want to add to the pool in the future.  You can start
> > with any of your three choices above and then add any of the other three
> > to the same pool.
>
> 'zpool add' will complain if the number of disks aren't equal, forcing you
> to use -f to get it to work.  I wonder why this is?  Does this have to do
> with the way zfs determines what goes where?  Does whatever system that is
> used work better with similar vdevs?

I think it's mainly to keep you from doing something silly without
meaning to.

If you have the same type and columns, then you have the same
availability expectations.  If instead you take a 5 disk raidz and add a
2 disk stripe, you're dramatically changing the availability
expectations.  So the force is required.

> > Now some additions may not make sense for what you want to do, but they
> > are available.
>
> I setup a test zfs sytem at work for some of the other non-solaris savvy
> linux admins and it had a 6x36g raidz, a 6x73g raidz and a 143g mirror.
> It's not something we pushed hard, so I don't know what the performance
> impact would be, but it certainly did work.  :)
>
> Which raises the question.....
>
> What are the performance implications of pairing different "types" of
> vdevs in a single pool?

It's going to try to stripe across them without regard for performance
today.  So one especially slow vdev (maybe a single disk?) could slow
the overall performance for a pool that has other faster components.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]