> Shouldn't S10u3 just see the newer on-disk format and
> report that fact, rather than complain it is corrupt?

Yep, I just tried it, and it refuses to "zpool import" the newer pool,
telling me about the incompatible version.  So I guess the pool
format isn't the correct explanation for the Dick Davies' (number9)
problem.

On a S-x86 box running snv_68, ZFS version 7:

# mkfile 256m /home/leo.nobackup/tmp/zpool_test.vdev
# zpool create test_pool /home/leo.nobackup/tmp/zpool_test.vdev
# zpool export test_pool

On a S-sparc box running snv_61, ZFS version 3
(I get the same error on S-x86, running S10U2, ZFS version 2):

# zpool import -d /home/leo.nobackup/tmp/
  pool: test_pool
    id: 6231880247307261822
 state: FAULTED
status: The pool is formatted using an incompatible version.
action: The pool cannot be imported.  Access the pool on a system running newer
        software, or recreate the pool from backup.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-A5
config:

        test_pool                                  UNAVAIL   newer version
          /home/leo.nobackup/tmp//zpool_test.vdev  ONLINE