William Loewe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using a Sun Fire X4500 "Thumper" and trying to get some sense of the best
> performance I can get from it with zfs.
>
> I'm running without mirroring or raid, and have checksumming turned off.  I
> built the zfs with these commands:
>
> # zpool create mypool disk0 disk1 ... diskN
> # zfs set checksum=off mypool
> # zfs create mypool/testing
>
> When I run an application with 8 threads performing writes, I see this
> performance:
>
>    1 disk  --  42 MB/s
>    2 disks --  81 MB/s
>    4 disks -- 147 MB/s
>    8 disks -- 261 MB/s
>   12 disks -- 347 MB/s
>   16 disks -- 433 MB/s
>   32 disks -- 687 MB/s
>   45 disks -- 621 MB/s
>
> I'm surprised it doesn't scale better than this, and I'm curious to know what
> the best configuration is for getting the maximum write performance from the
> Thumper.

When doing testing like this, you will need to make sure you are creating
enough large I/O to be interesting.  Unlike many RAID-0 implementations,
ZFS will allocate 128kByte blocks across vdevs on a slab basis.  The default
slab size is likely to be 1 MByte, so if you want to see I/O spread across
45 disks, then you'd need to generate > 45 MBytes of concurrent, write I/O.
Otherwise, you will only see a subset of the disks active.  This should be
measurable via iostat with a small period.  Once written, random reads
should exhibit more stochastic balancing of the iops across disks.

The disks used in the X4500 have a media bandwidth of 31-64.8 MBytes/s, so
getting 42 MBytes/s to or from a single disk is not unreasonable.
  -- richard