Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 16:27 -0700, Richard Elling wrote:
>
>> I think we should up-level this and extend to the community for comments.
>> The proposal, as I see it, is to create a simple,
>>
> yes
>

>>  contiguous (?)
>>
> as I understand the proposal, not necessarily contiguous.

Correct, not necessarily contiguous on disk.

>> space which sits in a zpool.  As such, it does inherit the behaviour of the
>> zpool.  But it does not inherit the behaviour of a file system or zvol
>> (no snapshots, copies, etc.)
>>
>> While the original reason for this was swap, I have a sneaky suspicion
>> that others may wish for this as well, or perhaps something else.
>> Thoughts?  (database folks, jump in :-)
>>

> the record will hopefully show that I predicted that the database folks
> would want to use this when Lori described the concept during ARC
> review...

Yes, you did.  That was my first thought when I saw these mails,
that you had predicted this.

Since there seems to be a broader interest in this, I'm going to
ask Eric Taylor, who's designing and implementing this feature,
to send out mail describing it more detail, since he knows a lot
more about it than I do.

Lori