[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 07/13/2007 02:21:52 PM:
>

>> Peter Tribble wrote:
>>

>>> I've not got that far. During an import, ZFS just pokes around - there
>>> doesn't seem to be an explicit way to tell it which particular devices
>>> or SAN paths to use.
>>>
>> You can't tell it which devices to use in a straightforward manner. But
>> you can tell it which directories to scan.
>>
>> zpool import [-d dir]
>>
>> By default, it scans /dev/dsk.
>>
>> Does truss of zfs import show the powerrpath devices being opened and
>> read from?
>>

> AFAIK powerpath does not really need to use the powerpath pseudo devices --
> they are just there for convenience.  I would expect the drives to be
> readable from either the c1xxxxxxxx devices or emc*.

ZFS needs to use the top level multipath device or bad things will
probably happen in a failover or in initial zpool creation. Fopr
example: You'll try to use the device on two paths and cause a lun
failover to occur.

Mpxio fixes a lot of these issues. I strongly suggest using mpxio
instead of powerpath but sometimes its all you can use if the array is
new and mpxio doesn't have the hooks for it ... yet.