I guess I should have included this output too:

# ls -al
total 124
drwx------   2 rmf      other          5 Aug  9 05:26 .
drwx--x--x 148 rmf      other        283 Aug  9 05:40 ..
-rw-------   1 rmf      other      26616 Apr 16 00:17 bayes_journal
-rw-------   1 rmf      other       1938 Apr 15 04:03 user_prefs

This isn't an unprintable character thing - find would not report errors
because of that (I would have never seen this if find didn't spew out the
error).  It's definitely a directory entry that doesn't point to anything.
It's really in this funny state that various things think something is there,
and others don't think something is there at all.

# ls
bayes.lock.router.3981  bayes_journal           user_prefs
# touch bayes.lock.router.3981
touch: bayes.lock.router.3981 cannot create
# rm bayes.lock.router.3981
bayes.lock.router.3981: No such file or directory
# touch test
# ln test bayes.lock.router.3981
ln: cannot create link bayes.lock.router.3981: File exists
# pwd
/home/rmf/.spamassassin
# cd ..
# rm -r .spamassassin
bayes.lock.router.3981: No such file or directory
rm: Unable to remove directory .spamassassin: File exists

The filesystem gods do taunt me... :)

-r