In-place upgrade of zfs datasets is not supported and probably
never will  be (LiveUpgrade will be the way to go with zfs because
the cloning features of zfs make it a natural).  But the LiveUpgrade
changes aren't ready yet, so for the time being, you really need to
reinstall in order to get a later version.

Lori