Mark J Musante wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Michael Schuster wrote:
>
>> I recently started seeing zfs chattiness at boot time: "reading zfs config"
>> and something like "mounting zfs filesystems (n/n)".
>
> This was added recently because ZFS can take a while to mount large
> configs.  Consoles would appear to freeze after the initial boot-up
> messages.  10k filesystems could easily take several minutes to mount.
>
> Eric Taylor is working on parallel mounting for ZFS which will speed up
> things considerably, although his changes currently do not remove the
> messages.  Perhaps the reading/mounting messages should be only displayed
> if, say, a minute has passed and we're not done?

That was my suspicion, and I'd vote for a change along the outline you
suggest here. A minute may be a bit much, though (YMMV ;-).
I'm also quite prepared to see a running tally(?) after an initial timeout
(your minute) has gone by and we haven't finished ... but I guess we'd also
have to make sure that the output generated isn't messed up by other output
to the console that's independant of ZFS.
I'd completely do away with the first message ("reading zfs config") for
the OK case.

> I agree things should not be needlessly chatty, but I also believe that
> processes which run a long time (especially when affecting boot time)
> should provide feedback to users to let them know the box isn't dead.

indeed - see above.

thx
Michael
--