On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Richard Elling wrote:

> I can't imagine a web server serving tens of thousands of pages.  I think
> you should put a more scalable architecture in place, if that is your
> goal. BTW, there are many companies that do this: google, yahoo, etc.
> In no case do they have a single file system or single server dishing out
> thousands of sites.

Our current implementation already serves tens of thousands of pages, and
it's for the most part running on 8-10 year old hardware. We have three
core DFS servers housing files, and three web servers serving content. The
only time we've ever had a problem was once we got Slashdot'd by a staff
member's personal project:

        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jelerma/springfield/map/index.html

other than that, it's been fine. I can't imagine brand-new hardware running
shiny new filesystems couldn't handle the same load 10-year-old hardware
has been? Although arguably, considering I can't find anything equivalent
feature wise to DFS, perhaps the current offerings aren't equivalent
scalability-wise either :(...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]