> I would like confirm that Solaris Express Developer Edition 09/07
> b70, you can't have /usr on a separate zfs filesystem because of
> broken dependencies.
>
> 1/ Part of the problem is that /sbin/zpool is linked to
> /usr/lib/libdiskmgt.so.1

Yep, in the past this happened on several occasions for me:  /sbin/zfs,
 /etc/fs/zfs/mount or /lib/libzfs.so.1 depends on libraries that can only be
found
in /usr/lib and are not yet available when you have /usr in a separate zfs
filesystem - the system becomes unbootable.

See also bugs like this:

Bug ID           6570056
Synopsis        /sbin/zpool should not link to files in /usr/lib
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6570056

Bug ID           6494840
Synopsis        libzfs should dlopen libiscsitgt rather than linking to it
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6494840

Workaround was to copy the relevant missing shared libraries into
the root filesystem.

I currently have snv_72 installed, and bfu'ed to the latest opensolaris
bits.  And I have /usr on a zfs filesystem. This doesn't need extra
copies of libraries from /usr/lib in the root filesystem, and is able to
mount a separate zfs /usr filesystem.

Note that the system apparently doesn't need /sbin/zpool for mounting
a zfs /usr filesystem; /etc/fs/zfs/mount or /sbin/zfs should be enough.

Not sure why your system is rebooting, though.  You should boot it
with option "-k", so that you can read the exact panic message.

Note that you need a valid /etc/zfs/zpool.cache file, and for zfs *root*
you also have to make sure that the /etc/zfs/zpool.cache file can be
found in the boot archive.