Hello Duff
Thanks for emailing me the source & binary for your test app.

My PC for testing has snv_60 installed. I was about to upgrade to snv_70,
but I thought it might be useful to test with the older version of OpenSolaris
first, in case the problem you are seeing is a regression.

And for the first test, I connected up a Samsung 400Gb sata-2 drive
to a pci-e x1 card which uses the  Silicon Image SiI-3132 chip.
This uses the OpenSolaris 'si3124' driver.
So my ZFS pool is using a single drive.

Ok, I ran your test app, using the parameters you advised, with the addition
 of '-c' to validate with a read, the data created.
And the first run of the test has completed with no problems.
So no crash with this setup.

 # ./gbFileCreate -c -r /mytank -d 1000 -f 1000 -s 60000:60000

 CREATING DIRECTORIES AND FILES:
 In folder "/mytank/greenbytes.1459",
 creating 1000 directories each containing 1000 files.
 Files range in size from 60000 bytes to 60000 bytes.

 CHECKING FILE DATA:
 Files Passed = 1000000, Files Failed = 0.
 Test complete.

For the next test, I am going to swap the Samsung drive over onto
the motherboard Intel ICH7 sata chip, so then it will be using the 'ahci'
driver.
But it's late now, so hopefully I will have the time to do that tomorrow.

I have had a look at the source code history for the 'sd' driver, and I see
that there have been quite alot of changes recently.  So if there is a
problem with that, then maybe I will not experience the problem until I
upgrade to snv70 or latter.
Regards,
Nigel Smith