On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Mike Gerdts wrote:

> On 10/18/07, Bill Sommerfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> that sounds like a somewhat mangled description of the cross-calls done
>> to invalidate the TLB on other processors when a page is unmapped.
>> (it certainly doesn't happen on *every* update to a mapped file).
>
> I've seen systems running Veritas Cluster & Oracle Cluster Ready
> Services idle at about 10% sys due to the huge number of monitoring
> scripts that kept firing.  This was on a 12 - 16 CPU 25k domain.  A

Monitoring scripts and mmap users ... URGH :(

That runs into procfs' notorious keenness on locking the address spaces of
inspected processes. Even as much as an "ls -l /proc/<PID>/" is acquiring
address space locks on that process, and I can see how/why this leads to
CPU spikes when you have an application that heavily uses mmap()/munmap().

One could say, if you want this workload to perform well, trust it to
perform well and restrain the urge to watch it all the time ...

> quite similar configuration on T2000's had negligible overhead.
> Lesson learned: cross-calls (and thread migrations, and ...) are much
> cheaper on systems with lower latency between CPUs.

And quantum theory tells us: If you hadn't looked, that cat might still be
living happily ever after ... /proc isn't for free.

FrankH.