Hi Stephen,

No, you can't replace a one device with a raidz device, but you can
create a mirror from one device by using zpool attach. See the output
below.

The other choice is to add to an existing raidz configuration. See
the output below.

I thought we had an RFE to expand an existing raidz device but I
can't find it now.

Examples of these operations are included in the ZFS admin guide:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-2271/gayrd?a=view

Cindy

zpool attach:

# zpool create waldenpond c1t23d0
# zpool attach waldenpond c1t23d0 c1t24d0
# zpool status waldenpond
   pool: waldenpond
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: resilver completed with 0 errors on Mon Oct 29 11:06:14 2007
config:

         NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         waldenpond   ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
             c1t23d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             c1t24d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

zpool add:

# zpool create goldenpond raidz c1t17d0 c1t18d0 c1t19d0
# zpool add goldenpond raidz c1t20d0 c1t21d0 c1t22d0
# zpool status goldenpond
   pool: goldenpond
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested