Hello again,

Some of you may have read my earlier post about wanting to recover partial ZFS
space.  It seems as though that isn't possible given the current
implementation... so, I would like to suggest the following "enhancement":

A zfs-aware rm command (ie. zfs rm).  The idea here is that we would be able to
remove a file (or directory) from a zfs filesystem and all snapshots that the
file exists in.  This would allow the ability to recover space when part of a
zfs pool is moved/deleted, but the bulk of the data in the snapshots is still
relevant.

I know, I know -- snapshots are there to protect us from messing up, but a
specific command that would allow us to "force" the removal (unlinking) of
certain structures within the filesystem and its associated snapshots would be
quite useful.

Take the example that bit me...

I had a filesystem that had a subdirectory that grew too big and had to be
moved to another pool.  Since the snapshots contained all of that data, even
though the directory was moved, I was unable to recover the space (almost
300GB) without deleting all of the snapshots.

The problem with deleting all of the snapshots is that I would lose the ability
to recover the other data within that filesystem.  The problem with "sending"
the snapshots elsewhere before deleting them is that at almost 500GB each, I
simply didn't have that kind of space available.

If I had the ability to forcefully delete the directory from the filesystem and
its snapshots, I would have been able to move my data around without
sacrificing the recoverability of the other data.

Maybe something like this:
    zfs rm -f myfile

Seems like this would be pretty easy if we are really just talking about
unlinking pointers to the specific data, but I'll let those more intimate with
the code speak to that.

Thanks,
Michael