Hey folks,

I have no knowledge at all about how streams work in Solaris, so this might
have a simple answer, or be completely impossible.  Unfortunately I'm a windows
admin so haven't a clue which :)

We're looking at rolling out a couple of ZFS servers on our network, and
instead of tapes we're considering using off-site NAS boxes for backups.  We
think there's likely to be too much data each day to send the incremental
snapshots to the remote systems over the wire, so we're wondering if we can use
removable disks instead to transport just the incremental changes.

The idea is that we can do the initial "zfs send" on-site with the NAS plugged
on the network, and from then on we just need a 500GB removable disk to take
the changes off site each night.

Let me be clear on that:  We're not thinking of storing the whole zfs pool on
the removable disk, there's just too much data.  Instead, we want to use "zfs
send -i" to store just the incremental changes on a removable disk, so we can
then take that disk home and plug it into another device and use zfs receive to
upload the changes.  Does anybody know if that's possible?

If it works it's a nice and simple off-site backup, with the added benefit that
we have a very rapid disaster recovery response.  No need to waste time
restoring from tape:  the off-site backup can be brought onto the network and
data is accessible immediately.