On 11/19/07, Ian Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For a home user, data integrity is probably as, if not more, important
> than for a corporate user.  How many home users do regular backups?

        Let me correct a point I made badly the first time around, I
value the data integrity provided by mirroring (I have always used
mirrored drives for data and OS on my home servers), I don't know how
much the end-to-end checksumming buys me, but it is not a compelling
feature. In other words, I didn't choose ZFS because of the end-to-end
checksumming, I chose it for the ease of management and flexibility in
configuration. The checksummed data is just a bonus that came along
for the ride :-)

        Remember, this thread was essentially "Why would a home user
choose ZFS over other options"... I tried using software mirrors under
Linux ... maybe I was spoiled by Disk Suite / Solaris Volume Manager,
but I found the Linux software mirrors clunky and unreliable (when
installing the OS, the metadevices came up in one order, after booting
off of the hard disk they came up in another order, leaving my
mirrored root unmountable). I'm not a big fan of hardware "RAID" as I
have seen terrible performance out of HW RAID cards and from the OS
layer you need additional hardware vendor drivers to really manage and
monitor the drives (if you even can from the OS layer, I hate
rebooting, even home servers).

        Just one geeks opinion.

--
Paul Kraus