> And some results (for OLTP workload):
>
> http://przemol.blogspot.com/2007/08/zfs-vs-vxfs-vs-ufs
> -on-scsi-array.html

While I was initially hardly surprised that ZFS offered only 11% - 15% of the
throughput of UFS or VxFS, a quick glance at Filebench's OLTP workload seems to
indicate that it's completely random-access in nature without any of the
sequential-scan activity that can *really* give ZFS fits.  The fact that you
were using an underlying hardware RAID really shouldn't have affected these
relationships, given that it was configured as RAID-10.

It would be interesting to see your test results reconciled with a detailed
description of the tests generated by the Kernel Performance Engineering group
which are touted as indicating that ZFS performs comparably with other file
systems in database use:  I actually don't find that too hard to believe
(without having put all that much thought into it) when it comes to straight
OLTP without queries that might result in sequential scans, but your
observations seem to suggest otherwise (and the little that I have been able to
infer about the methodology used to generate some of the rosy-looking ZFS
performance numbers does not inspire confidence in the real-world applicability
of those internally-generated results).

- bill