Hi,
I would like to ask, whether is it possible to have my rootpool (it means zpool
for root filesystem) on GPT partition ? From documentation, it looks like that
I need to have Solaris fdisk partition on my disk and to have VTOC in that
partition. Is it true ?
If that is true, is there any project for adding GPT support for ZFS boot ?
The reason, why I am asking is that you can use fdisk partition only on disks
under 1 TB (because there is 32 bit number for number of sectors in fdisk
partition). And now 500 GB internal disks are quite common in modern computers.
So, without this support we will not be able to install Solaris on disks bigger
than 1 TB.
>From what I found till now, 64 bit Windows support GPT, some Linux
>distributions support GPT, and Mac OS X supports GPT as well. In Solaris, I
>just found, that if you add the whole disk to zpool, zfs creates 1 big GPT
>partition over the whole disk and adds it inot zpool. I also found, that
>Solaris uses the same namespace for VTOC slices and for GPT partitions (which
>is a little bit confusing). So, there is some support for GPT in Solaris. But
>what about zfs boot ?

Thanks,

Tomas Dzik