Jonathan,

I think I remember seeing this error in an older Solaris release. The
current zpool.1m man page doesn't have this error unless I'm missing it:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2240/zpool-1m

In a current Solaris release, this command fails as expected:

# zpool create mirror c0t2d0 c0t4d0
cannot create 'mirror': name is reserved
pool name may have been omitted

mirror is reserved as described on page 39 of the ZFS Admin
Guide, here:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfsadmin.pdf

Cindy