> You have me at a disadvantage here, because I'm not
> even a Unix (let alone Solaris and Linux) aficionado.
> But don't Linux snapshots in conjunction with rsync
> (leaving aside other possibilities that I've never
> heard of) provide rather similar capabilities (e.g.,
> incremental backup or re-synching), especially when
>  used in conjunction with scripts and cron?

Which explains why you keep ranting without knowing what you're talking about.
Copy-on-write.  Even a bookworm with 0 real-life-experience should be able to
apply this one to a working situation.

There's a reason ZFS (and netapp) can take snapshots galore without destroying
their filesystem performance.  Hell this one even applies *IN THEORY*, so you
might not even have to *slum* with any real-world usage to grasp the concept.