Jonathan Loran writes:

 > Is it true that Solaris 10 u4 does not have any of the nice ZIL controls
 > that exist in the various recent Open Solaris flavors?  I would like to
 > move my ZIL to solid state storage, but I fear I can't do it until I
 > have another update.  Heck, I would be happy to just be able to turn the
 > ZIL off to see how my NFS on ZFS performance is effected before spending
 > the $'s.  Anyone know when will we see this in Solaris 10?

You can certainly turn it off with any release (Jim's link).

It's true that S10u4 does not have the "Separate Intent Log"
to allow using an SSD for ZIL blocks. I believe S10U5 will
have that feature.

As  noted,   disabling  the  ZIL  won't   lead to   ZFS pool
corruption,   just  DB    corruption    (that includes   NFS
clients). To protect against that, in  the event of a server
crash  with zil_disable=1,  you'd  need  to reboot  all  NFS
clients of the server (clear the client's caches) and better
do this before the   server comes back  up  (kind of a   raw
proposition here).

-r