> Hi list,
>
> I'd like to be able to store zfs filesystems on a tape drive that is
> attached to another Solaris U4 x86 server. The idea is to use "zfs send"
> together with tar in order to get the list of the filesystems' snapshots
> stored on a tape and be able to perform a restore operation later. It's
> pretty nice to use tar to get a content of the tape in human-readable
> form.

I don't think you want to do this.  Unless there has been a change of
heart you can't rely on zfs receive accepting the zfs send from an old
dump file.  It is only guaranteed to work for the same version of zfs/the
zfs tools.

If there has been a change of heart then I want to know about it.

> How can I do it in-one-command without intermediate file?
>
> The file ifself can be done using "zfs send tank/[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
> /path/to/filesystem_snapshot.zfs" ? But it's painfull to reserve pretty
> large amount if disk space to store intermidiate .zfs file..

Bearing in mind that I don't think you want to do this..

zfs send tank/[EMAIL PROTECTED] | ssh remote_server \( command_to_label_tape \;
dd of=/dev/rmt/0bn \)

> Of course, I can write to remote type using ssh using the command below
> but I'd lile to see some kind of meaningful names on the tape:
>
> # zfs send tank/[EMAIL PROTECTED] | ssh remote_server "cat >
> /dev/rmt/0bn"

What kind of name do you want?  Where do you want it.  There are loads of
ways.  Starting from

echo "tank/[EMAIL PROTECTED] `date`" > /dev/rmt/0bn

upwards.

> Thanks, Sergey

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support