On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Will Murnane wrote:
> What is the workload for this system?  Benchmarks are fine and good,
> but application performance is the determining factor of whether a
> system is performing acceptably.

The system is primarily used for image processing where the image data
is uncompressed and a typical file is 12MB.  In some cases the files
will be hundreds of MB or GB.  The typical case is to read a file and
output a new file.  For some very large files, an uncompressed
temporary file is edited in place with random access.

I am the author of the application and need the filesystem to be fast
enough that it will uncover any slowness in my code. :-)

> Perhaps iozone is behaving in a bad way; you might investigate

That is always possible.  Iozone (http://www.iozone.org/) has been
around for a very long time and has seen a lot of improvement by many
smart people so it does not seem very suspect.

> bonnie++: http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistintel10.html

I will check it out.

Bob