Chris,

You can replace the disks one at a time with larger disks. No problem.
You can also add another raidz vdev, but you can't add disks to an
existing raidz vdev.

See the sample output below. This might not solve all your problems,
but should give you some ideas...

Cindy

# zpool create rpool raidz disk01-320 disk02-320 disk03-320 disk04-320 \
disk05-320 disk06-320
# zpool status rpool
pool: rpool
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: resilver completed with 0 errors on Wed Mar  5 14:36:53 2008
config:

         NAME            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         rpool           ONLINE       0     0     0
           raidz1        ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk01-320  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk02-320  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk03-320  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk04-320  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk05-320  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk06-320  ONLINE       0     0     0
# zpool replace rpool disk01-320 disk01-1TB
and so on until each disk0*-320 is replaced with disk0*-1TB
# zpool add rpool raidz disk07-1TB disk08-1TB disk09-1TB disk10-1TB \
disk11-1TB disk12-1TB
# zpool status rpool
pool: rpool
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: resilver completed with 0 errors on Wed Mar  5 14:38:53 2008
config:

         NAME            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         rpool           ONLINE       0     0     0
           raidz1        ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk01-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk02-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk03-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk04-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk05-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk06-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
           raidz1        ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk07-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk08-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk09-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0
             disk10-1TB  ONLINE       0     0     0