Carson Gaspar wrote:
Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Bill Shannon wrote:

What's the best way to backup a zfs filesystem to tape, where the size
of the filesystem is larger than what can fit on a single tape?
ufsdump handles this quite nicely.  Is there a similar backup program
for zfs?  Or a general tape management program that can take data from
Previously it was suggested on this list to use a special version of tar called 'star' (ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/star).

Suggested by the rather biased (and extremely opinionated) author of 'star'. Who, by the way, never out-and-out admitted that star does _not_ support ZFS ACLs (which it doesn't).

Sadly I don't now of any non-commercial backup solution for ZFS that supports ACLs.

That is simply not true. Legato (EMC) Networker 7.4 does a perfect job of capturing the ZFS ACL's Just to make sure, I just performed a test recover of a directory where we use a complicated set of NFS4 style ACL's, and they were preserved exactly.
Even rsync doesn't support them, due to Sun's choice to use their own unique ACL API.
I commend Sun's choice of NFS v4 ACLs. This is the only way to ensure CIFS compatibility, and it is the way the industry will be moving.

Jon

--

-     _____/     _____/      /           - Jonathan Loran -           -
-    /          /           /                IT Manager               -