Hi,
I'm interested in the overhead of making, cloning, and destroying snapshots.
It sounds like the cost for all of these is low, but how low??

For example, could I make snapshots of a system every 5 seconds?  every second?
 More often than that?

I'm primarily interested in the time/computation cost of doing these
operations, but also about the storage cost.

Would it be plausible to do something like take snapshots twice a second on a
disk with a low/moderate load?  If I only cared about the last 60 seconds worth
of snapshots, would that make things much slower since I'd constantly be
eliminating old checkpoints?

Also, I [i]think[/i] that a while back I saw a technical paper on ZFS's design,
but I have not been able to track it down again.  Does anyone know if this
exists?

thanks!