Pascal Vandeputte wrote:
> I see. I'll only be running a minimal Solaris install with ZFS and samba on
> this machine, so I wouldn't expect immediate memory issues with 2 gigabytes
> of RAM. OTOH I read that ZFS is a real memory hog so I'll be careful.

Memory usage is completely dependent on the workload.  Unless you
are doing a *lot* of writes with a slow back end (hmmm....) then you
should be ok with modest RAM.

> I've tested swap on a ZFS volume now, it's really easy so I'll try running
> without swap for some quick performance testing and use swap on ZFS after
> that. This also takes away my fears about using a swap slice on the
> CompactFlash card I'll be booting from.

To save you some grief, please wait for b88 before swapping to
ZFS.

Don't worry about swapping on CF.  In most cases, you won't be
using the swap device for normal operations.  You can use the
swap -l command to observe the swap device usage.  No usage
means that you can probably do away with it.  If you actually
use swap, performance will suck, so buy more RAM.
 -- richard