> Rick, I have the same motherboard on my backup
> machine and got 48MBytes/sec sustained on a 650GB
> transfer (but that was using iSCSI), so I suggest two
> things:
>
> 1. Make sure you are using the latest stable -- i.e.
> not beta, BIOS update. You can use a USB thumbdrive
> to install it, and can save the old one on there too,
> in case you want to return to it.
>
> 2. I assume you have at least Category 5e ethernet
> cables between all boxes linked to your gigabit
> switch. If not, that could be the cause as Cat. 5
> might not be sufficient. I use Cat. 6 because I
> wanted to be sure if I got low speeds that it wasn't
> the cables letting me down. You might also be able to
> do a cable test as part of the system's POST, set
> within the BIOS (I know my other M2N-SLI Deluxe can
> do this anyway).
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Simon

Simon,

Hey Simon. I have not updated to the latest BIOS. I'm 1 or 2 revisions behind.
I will check into updating, however I think that's not my issue.

I do have a Cat6 cable that I'm plugging in to a 10/100/1000 switch. It's a
SOHO switch which does not have a configuration interface. I do know the port
works as 1000 because my last mobo was connected to the same cable and port at
1000. For whatever reason, I cannot set my nge interface to 1000 though. It
runs fine, but only connects at 100 full duplex. On the same switch I also have
a PS3 which connects at 1000. The typical speed from the Solaris ZFS shared
data to the PS3 is 700KiB/s. That's streaming data though. The actual "copy"
speed is 9.3MiB/s. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure of the protocol it uses
to copy data. MediaTomb is the DLNA application that feeds my PS3. Anyway, all
other devices use Cat5e and connect to the same switch (at least, all other
devices that are involved in this little fiasco.)

The 2MiB/s speed isn't so bad, or at least uncommon in my office. Copying from
another windows box (laptop) to the winxp box, that was used in the tests
quoted before, results in 2.2MiB/s - 3.4MiB/s while using MS SMB. I'm less
concerned with speeds around that mark. The only speed that really concerns me
is the 342KiB/s write speed. It's not a great situation when your backup
solution only accepts 342KiB/s on writes. :)

And for those getting annoyed, I'm aware that this is probably not a direct
fault of ZFS. However, I'm not sure how exactly the code between CIFS and ZFS
interfaces, so I included "zfs discuss" on my initial post. Because the
read/write speeds of other protocols is faster on the same ZFS mirror, I have
to assume that there is definitely an issue with CIFS or my configuration of
CIFS. Still, I have not found any information at all on tweaking CIFS in
Solaris. I can't even find a config file for it. :(

rick