On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Jonathan Loran wrote:

> Oh contraire Bob.  I'm not going to boost Linux, but in this department,
> they've tried to do it right.  If you use Linux autofs V4 or higher, you
> can use Sun style maps (except there's no direct maps in V4.  Need V5
> for direct maps).  For our home directories, which use an indirect map,
> we just use the Solaris map, thus:
>
> auto_home:
> *    zfs-server:/home/&
>
> Sorry to be so off (ZFS) topic.

I am glad to hear that the Linux automounter has moved forward since
my experience with it a couple of years ago and indirect maps were
documented but also documented not to actually work. :-)

I don't think that this discussion is off-topic.  Filesystems are so
easy to create with ZFS that it has become popular to create per-user
filesystems.  It would be useful if the various automounter
incantations to make everything work would appear in a ZFS-related
Wiki somewhere.

This can be an embarrassing situtation for the system administrator
who thinks that everything is working fine due to testing with Solaris
10 clients.  So he swiches all the home directories to ZFS per-user
filesystems overnight.  Imagine the frustration and embarrassment when
that poor system administrator returns the next day and finds that
many users can not access their home directories!

Bob