> Hi...
>
> Here's my system:
>
>     2 Intel 3 Ghz 5160 dual-core cpu's
> 0 SATA 750 GB disks running as a ZFS RAIDZ2 pool
>     8 GB Memory
>   SunOS 5.11 snv_79a on a separate UFS mirror
>     ZFS pool version 10
>   No separate ZIL or ARC cache
> ran into a problem today where the ZFS pool jammed
>  for an extended
> eriod of time.  During that time, it seemed
> read-bound doing only read
> I/O's (as observed with "zpool iostat 1") and I saw
> 100% misses while
> running arcstat.pl (for "miss%", "dm%", "pm%" and
> "mm%").  Processes
> accessing the pool were jammed, including remote NFS
> mounts.  At the time,
> I was: 1) running a scrub, 2) writing 10's of MB/sec
> of data onto the pool
> as well as reading from the pool, 3) was deleting a
> large number of files
> on the pool.  I tried killing one of the jammed "rm"
> processes and it
> eventually died.  The # of misses seen in arcstat.pl
> eventually dropped
> back down to the 20-40% range ("miss%").  A while
> later, writes began
> occuring to the pool again and remote NFS access also
> freed up and overall
> system behaviour seemed to normalize.  This all
> occurred over the course
> of approximately an hour.
>
> Does this kind of problem sound familiar to anyone?
>  Is it a ZFS problem,
> r have I hit some sort of ZFS load maximum and this
> is the response?
> Any suggestions for ways to avoid this are welcome...
>
>                          Thanks...
>    Art
> thur A. Person
> Research Assistant, System Administrator
> Penn State Department of Meteorology
> email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED], phone:  814-863-1563
> ss

Hi Art,

I have seen a similar problem that is happening on several servers since a
recent upgrade from b70 to b86/b87.  For no obvious reason, the servers will
stop writing to the pool for long periods of time.  Watching a "zpool iostat",
I can see that 0 writes are being done for up to a minute at a time.
Meanwhile, a large amount of small (~3K) reads are happening.  The servers
behave like this for an hour or more at a time.

The server configuration is:
Dual-core Opteron 2212HE
4GB ECC DDR2 RAM
15 1TB SATA drives in a RAID-Z2 pool
2 Supermicro SAT2-MV8 controllers
SunOS 5.11 snv_86
UFS root and swap are on their own disk

Have you made any progress with this problem? Has anyone else seen this
behavior?