Jeff Bonwick wrote:
> Yes, I think that would be useful.  Something like 'zpool revive'
> or 'zpool undead'.

Why a new subcommand when 'zpool import' got '-D' to revive destroyed
pools ?

 > It would not be completely general-purpose --
> in a pool with multiple mirror devices, it could only work if
> all replicas were detached in the same txg -- but for the simple
> case of a single top-level mirror vdev, or a clean 'zpool split',
> it's actually pretty straightforward.

zpool split is the functionality need - take a side of a mirror and make
a new unmirrored pool from it.

However I think many people are likely to attempt 'zpool detach' because
of experience with volume managers such as SVM (ODS, LVM what ever you
want to call it this week) where you type 'metadetach'.  Though of
course that won't work in the case where there is actually a stripe of
mirrors so 'zpool split' is need to deal with the non trivial case anyway.

--
Darren J Moffat