Andy Lubel wrote:
> Paul B. Henson wrote:

>>> Now that is just uber-cool.
>>>
>>> Can you do that through the in kernel CIFS server too?
>>>

>> Yes, it works over CIFS too.
>
>>   -Mark
>
> Great stuff!
>
> I confirmed that it does work, but its strange that I don't see the snapshot
> in 'zfs list' on the zfs box.  Is that a bug or a feature?  Im using XP -
> another thing is that if you right click in the .zfs/snapshot directory and
> do new -> folder you will be stuck with a snapshot called "New Folder".  I
> couldn't rename it and the only way to delete it was to log into the machine
> and do a lil 'rm -Rf'.  good news is that it is snapshotting :)
>
> I have a simple backup script where I use robocopy and then at the end I want
> to do a 'mkdir .zfs/snapshot/xxx', but I would eventually want to delete the
> oldest snapshot, similar to the zsnap.pl script floating around.
>
> Cant wait to try this on NFS, the whole reason we objected to snapshots in
> the first place in our org was because our admins didn't want to be involved
> with the users for the routine of working with snapshots.
>
> -Andy

If you want to be able to rename the snapshots then you will need to
also hand out "rename,create" permission.  Then after windows creates
the "New Folder" you can rename it to something else.

You can also rename it from the server by doing a "mv" command in
.zfs/snapshot

I created this bug to address the issue with the space character

6700649 zfs_ctldir snapshot creatation issue with CIFS clients

   -Mark