Lance,

This could be bug#*6596237 Stop looking and start ganging
<http://monaco.sfbay/detail.jsf?cr=6596237>.*
The fix is in progress and Victor Latushkin is working on it.

We have an IDR based on the patches 127127-11/127128-11 which has the
first cut of the fix.
You could raise an escalation and get these IDRs.
Thanks and regards,
Sanjeev.

Lance wrote:
> Any progress on a defragmentation utility?  We appear to be having a severe
> fragmentation problem on an X4500, vanilla S10U4, no additional patches.
> 500GB disks in 4 x 11 disk RAIDZ2 vdevs.  It hit 97% full and fell off a
> cliff...about 50KB/sec on writes.  Deleting files so the zpool is at 92% has
> not helped.  I rebooted the host...no difference.  I lowered the recordsize
> from 128KB to 8KB.  That has boosted performance to 250-500KB/sec on writes
> (still 10x-100x too slow).  Reads have been fine all along.
>
> This is one big zpool and one file system of 16TB.  Approximately 25-30M
> files, some of which change often.  Lots of small, changing files, which are
> probably aggravating the problem.  Due to the Marvell driver bug, I have SATA
> NCQ turned off in /etc/system via "set sata:sata_func_enable=0x5".  We plan
> to go to the most recent patch set so I can remove that, but I'm not
> convinced patching will fix the slowness we're seeing.
>
> We'll try to delete more files, but having a defragmentation utility might
> help in this case.  It seems a shame to waste 10-20% of your disk space to
> maintain moderate performance, though I guess that's what we'll have to do.

Solaris Revenue Products Engineering,
India Engineering Center,
Sun Microsystems India Pvt Ltd.
Tel:    x27521 +91 80 669 27521