Mike,

Indeed an interesting result :) !
This is a known problem with VirtualBox :)
They have fixed it in the latest release
-- snip --

#1639: Solaris Virtual box guest keeps getting its time reset after resuming VM
from suspend
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  nagki      |      Owner:
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  closed
Resolution:  duplicate  |   Keywords:  time reset guest
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Changes (by sandervl73):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => duplicate

Comment:

 Duplicate and fixed in 1.6.2 (due out in a day or two)
-- snip --

Cheers,
Sanjeev.

--