MC wrote:
> I mentioned this too, but on the performance forum:
> http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=64907&tstart=0
>
> Unfortunately the performance forum has tumbleweeds blowing through it, so
> that was probably the wrong place to complain.  Not that people don't care
> about performance, but the forum is dead.

It looks pretty lively from my browser :-)
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=26&start=0

But it may be that you are experiencing network performance issues
specifically, which pretty quickly descends into hardware+driver
details.  It is unusual for general performance group to know much
detail about more than a few such combinations.

Note: NIC device drivers can vary widely in their designs and
optimizations.  For large systems, we tend to tune for large-scale
efficiency which de-tunes for small-scale rapid response.  For
example, interrupt coalescing is important for big machines
handling many requests, but it works against rapid response for
a small workload.
 -- richard