Christiaan Willemsen wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Richard Elling wrote:
>> It should cost less than a RAID array...
>> Advertisement: Sun's low-end servers have 16 DIMM slots.
>
> Sadly, those are by far more expensive than what I have here from our
> own server supplier...

ok, that pushed a button.  Let's see...  I just surfed the 4 major
server vendors for their online store offerings without logging in
(no discounts applied).  I was looking for a 64 GByte 1-2U rack
server with 8 internal disk drives.  Due to all of the vendors having
broken stores, in some form or another, it was difficult to actually
get an exact, orderable configuration, but I was able to come close.
Requirements: redundant power supplies, 8x 146 GByte 10k rpm
disks, 64 GBytes of RAM, 4 cores of some type, no OS (I'll use
OpenSolaris, thank you :-)  All prices in USD.

IBM - no 1-2U product with 64 GByte memory capacity, the x3650
line have only 12 slots available until you get to the 4U servers.
Didn't make the first cut.  But for the record, if you want it at
48 GBytes, $10,748, and if you could add 16 GBytes more, it
would come in at around $12,450... not bad.

HP - DL380 G5 looks promising. Site had difficulty calculating
the price, but it cruised in at $23,996.

Dell - PowerEdge 2970 seemed to be the most inexpensive, at
first.  But once configured (store showed configuration errors,
but it seems to be a bug in the error reporting itself). $21,825.

Sun - X4150 is actually 1U while the others are 2U.  Store
would only allow me to configure 60 GBytes -- 1 pair of
DIMMs were 2 GByte.  I'm sure I could get it fully populated
with a direct quote.  $12,645.

The way I see it, for your solution Sun offers the best value
by far.  But more importantly, it really helps to shop around
for these x64 boxes.  I was quite surprised to find Sun's price
to be nearly half of HP and Dell...
 -- richard