Turns out zfs mount -a will pick up the file system.

Fun question is why the OS can't mount the disk by itself.
gnome-mount is what puts up the "Can't access the disk"
and whines to stdout (/dev/null in this case) about:
> ** (gnome-mount:1050): WARNING **: Mount failed for
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices
> /pci_0_0/pci1179_1_1d_7/storage_7_if0_0/scsi_host0/disk1/sd1/p0
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure : cannot open
> '/dev/dsk/c2t0d0p
> 0': invalid dataset name
gnome-mount never attempts to open, access or mount the disk. It
comes to the above conclusion after an exchange of messages with hald.

Further questions will be directed in that direction.

Jim
---