Andre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently setting up a new system to my lab. 4 SATA drives would be
> turned into the main file system (ZFS?) running on a soft raid (raid-z?).
>
> My main target is reliability, my experience with Linux SoftRaid was
> catastrophic and the array could no be restored after some testing simulating
> power failures (thank god I did the tests before relying on that...)
>
> For what I've seen so far, Solaris cannot boot from a raid-z system. Is that
> correct?
yes, zfs can boot of a mirror or single disk ( not raidz or above ), actually
zfs root can
only boot of a slice in the disk, you can make the whole disk into a slice as
such.
Reason being that zfs does not boot of EFI labelled disks only SMI currently,
you can use
zpool attach to add disk to setup as wel, if you want to convert to a mirror.
i tend to suggest a mirror for reliability.

Not overly clear to me what you want, you say the 4 drives are going to be
turned into the
main file system, so is this what you will be using for root ( ie booting ) or
are there
other disks you will be using to boot.
Also what solaris release is this ie zfs root will be in s10 update 6,or is in
current
nevada builds.

Enda