Hi Dick

You want Mirroring.  A Sun system with mirrored disks can be configured to
not go down due to one disk failing.  For this to be valid, you need to also
make sure that the device used for SWAP is mirrored - you won't believe how
many times I've seen this mistake being made.

To be even MORE safe, you want the two disks to be on separate controllers,
so that you can survive a controller failure too.

note: Technically, mirroring is RAID, to be specific, it is Raid level 1.

  _Johan

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:37 PM, dick hoogendijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm still confused.
> What is a -SAFE- way with two drives if you prepare for hardware
> faulure? That is: one drive fails and the system does not go down
> because the other drive takes over. Do I need raid or mirror?
>
> --
> Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
> ++ http://nagual.nl/ + SunOS sxce snv91 ++

Arthur C. Clarke

Afrikaanse Stap Website: http://www.bloukous.co.za

My blog: http://initialprogramload.blogspot.com

ICQ = 193944626, YahooIM = johan_hartzenberg, GoogleTalk =
[EMAIL PROTECTED], AIM = JohanHartzenberg