> Recently, I needed to move the boot disks containing a ZFS root pool in an
> Ultra 1/170E running snv_93 to a different system (same hardware) because
> the original system was broken/unreliable.
>
> To my dismay, unlike with UFS, the new machine wouldn't boot:
>
> WARNING: pool 'root' could not be loaded as it was
> last accessed by another system (host:  hostid:
> 0x808f7fd8).  See: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
>
> panic[cpu0]/thread=180e000: BAD TRAP: type=31 rp=180acc0 addr=0 mmu_fsr=0
> occurred in module "unix" due to a NULL pointer dereference
> suffering from the absence of SPARC failsafe archives after liveupgrade
> (recently mentioned on install-discuss), I'd have been completely stuck.

Yes, on x86 you can boot into failsafe and let it mount the root pool
under /a and then reboot.  This removes the hostid from the configuration
information in the zpool's label.

I guess that on SPARC you could boot from the installation optical media
(or from a network server), and zpool import -f the root pool; that should
put the correct hostid into the root pool's label.