> Ross,
>
> The X4500 uses 6x Marvell 88SX SATA controllers for
> its internal disks.  They are not Supermicro
> controllers.  The new X4540 uses an LSI chipset
> instead of the Marvell chipset.
>
> --Brett

Yup, and the Supermicro card uses the "Marvell Hercules-2 88SX6081 (Rev. C0)
SATA Host Controller", which is part of the series supported by the same
driver:  http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5177/marvell88sx-7d?a=view.  I've
seen the Supermicro card mentioned in connection with the Thumpers many times
on the forums.

And Supermicro have a card using the LSI chipset now
too:http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS-L8i.cfm

I don't know if that's the same one as the new Thumper, but posts here have
implied it is.  Either Sun & Supermicro have very similar taste in controllers,
or Supermicro are looking at ZFS and actively copying Sun :)