On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Tim wrote:

> I don't know about that.  I just went from an SSD back to a SATA drive
> because the SSD started failing in less than a month (I'm having troubles
> believing this great write-leveling they talk about is working
> properly...).  And the SATA drive is dog slow in comparison.  The biggest
> issue is seek times.  Opening apps/directories there is a VERY noticeable
> difference from the SSD to this drive.

The fact of the matter is that these new SSD drives are only 32GB or
80GB in size and will become available when 2TB hard drives become
available.  The 2TB hard drives will offer similar throughput but with
far less IOPS.

The SSD drives will work well for a boot drive, or a non-volatile
transaction cache, but will be dramatically more expensive for storage
than traditional hard drives.  This must be why Intel is focusing on
laptop users and not on enterprise storage.

In spite of many vendor claims of reliability, most enterprise users
are going to want to see these products deployed for a few years
before they entrust them with their critical data.

Bob