Triple mirroring you say?  That'd be me then :D

The reason I really want to get ZFS timeouts sorted is that our long term goal
is to mirror that over two servers too, giving us a pool mirrored across two
servers, each of which is actually a zfs iscsi volume hosted on triply mirrored
disks.

Oh, and we'll have two sets of online off-site backups running raid-z2, plus a
set of off-line backups too.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the integrity of the data, wouldn't want to
use anything other than ZFS for that now.  I'd just like to get the
availability working a bit better, without having to go back to buying raid
controllers.  We have big plans for that too; once we get the iSCSI / iSER
timeout issue sorted our long term availability goals are to have the setup I
mentioned above hosted out from a pair of clustered Solaris NFS / CIFS servers.

Failover time on the cluster is currently in the order of 5-10 seconds, if I
can get the detection of a bad iSCSI link down under 2 seconds we'll
essentially have a worst case scenario of < 15 seconds downtime.  Downtime that
low means it's effectively transparent for our users as all of our applications
can cope with that seamlessly, and I'd really love to be able to do that this
calendar year.

Anyway, getting back on topic, it's a good point about moving forward while
redundancy exists.  I think the flag for specifying the write behavior should
have that as the default, with the optional setting being to allow the pool to
continue accepting writes while the pool is in a non redundant state.

Ross