Ross Becker wrote:
> Okay, after doing some testing, it appears that the issue is on the ZFS side.
>  I fiddled around a while with options on the areca card, and never got any
> better performance results than my first test. So, my best out of the raidz2
> is 42 mb/s write and 43 mb/s read.  I also tried turning off crc's (not how
> I'd run production, but for testing), and got no performance gain.
>
> After fiddling with options, I destroyed my zfs & zpool, and tried some
> single-drive bits.   I simply used newfs to create filesystems on single
> drives, mounted them, and ran some single-drive bonnie++ tests.  On a single
> drive, I got 50 mb/sec write & 70 mb/sec read.   I also tested two benchmarks
> on two drives simultaneously, and on each of the tests, the result dropped by
> about 2mb/sec, so I got a combined 96 mb/sec write & 136 mb/sec read with two
> separate UFS filesystems on two separate disks.
>
> So.... next steps?
>
> --ross

Raidz(2) vdevs can sustain the max iops of single drive in the vdev.
I'm curious what zpool iostat would say while bonnie++ is running it's
"writing intelligently" test.  The throughput sounds very low to me, but
the clue here is the single drive speed is in line with the raidz2 vdev,
so if a single drive is being limited by iops, not by raw throughput,
then this IO result makes sense.  For fun, you should make two vdevs out
of two raidz to see if you get twice the throughput, more or less.  I'll
bet the answer is yes.

Jon

--

-     _____/     _____/      /           - Jonathan Loran -           -
-    /          /           /                IT Manager               -