Ahmed Kamal wrote:

> BTW, for everyone saying zfs is more reliable because it's closer to the
> application than a netapp, well at least in my case it isn't. The
> solaris box will be NFS sharing and the apps will be running on remote
> Linux boxes. So, I guess this makes them equal. How about a new
> "reliable NFS" protocol, that computes the hashes on the client side,
> sends it over the wire to be written remotely on the zfs storage node ?!

We've actually prototyped an NFS protocol extension that does
this, but the challenges are integrating it with ZFS to form
a single protection domain, and getting the protocol to be a
standard.

For now, an option you have is Kerberos with data integrity;
the sender computes a CRC of the data and the receiver can
verify it to rule out OTW corruption.  This is, of course,
not end-to-end from platter to memory, but introduces a
separate protection domain for the NFS link.

Rob T