On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Al Hopper wrote:

> I *suspect* that there might be something like a hash table that is
> degenerating into a singly linked list as the root cause of this
> issue.  But this is only my WAG.

That seems to be a reasonable conclusion.  BTFW that my million file
test directory uses this sort of file naming, but it has only been
written once.

When making data multi-access safe, often it is easiest to mark old
data entries as unused while retaining the allocation.  At some later
time when it is convenient to do so, these old entries may be made
available for reuse.  It seems like your algorithm is causing the
directory size to grow quite large, with many stale entries.

Another possibility is that the directory is becoming fragmented due
to the limitations of block size.  The original directory was
contiguous, but the updated directory is now fragmented.

Bob